Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Earth Day


As Earth Day approaches, it's our responsibility to teach children about what Earth Day means and to teach them what they need to know to help save this beautiful planet. This Earth Day, I encourage you to teach your children how and why they should do small things every day to help the Earth.

Why is Earth Day Important? 
Once we've used up and destroyed the resources of our Earth, there's no turning back. What we leave behind is what our children will inherit. Don’t we want it to be something wonderful?  Teaching kids the message of Earth Day is important, but the goal of teaching them about Earth day is to just teach them the things that we should be doing ALL year long.

How can I teach my young child about Earth Day?
As a teacher, parent and an adult, it's our job to teach them  about the importance of Earth Day. As much as we may or may not believe it, kids do listen and they definitely learn from us.

Kids learn through example. Let me say that again: Kids learn through example. As a teacher and a parent I have a dual responsibility to teach all the munchkins in my life, in the best way that I can and I know those little eyes are watching my every move and are listening to every word that comes out of my mouth.

It is important that children see firsthand, that protecting and preserving the Earth is important, simply by the words we speak and by our actions.

I have come across many articles related to teaching kids about Earth day and have compiled a small list of things of ways that we can teach kids the significance of Earth Day through our own actions:
  • Do not litter (Easy one right? Then why do I still see garbage all over the place and then look a couple feet away and see a trash can?)
  •   Take recyclable materials to a recycling center/Use recyclable bins (Now this one, we recently started at home, thanks to our green recycling bin and a little pressure from our new neighbors!)
  • Turn off the lights and electronics when they are not in use (I must admit, this one is easier said than done, but we are working on it!)
  •  Don’t waste water (This one seems simple, right? Just don’t leave the water running)
  • Walk whenever possible (Another one that is easier said than done! BUT as the weather warms up, walking to nearby places will definitely be an option)
  • Spend time outdoors appreciating the beauty you don't want to lose! (A simple trip, walk or bike ride to a park will do just fine.)

As you are leading by example, take time to talk to your children about why you should or should not do these things and why they are important. Simply talking about it and making it an important topic will help them to realize its importance too.

Earth Day is April 22 and Earth is only one day a year. We should teach our children to treat EVERYDAY as Earth Day. Saving our planet for our own kids and for future generations, is  a huge responsibility, but someone has to do it right?

Stay tuned for my fun Earth Day activities that I have planned for my little munchkins this coming week!

No comments:

Post a Comment