Monday, October 5, 2015

Nos Gustan Manzanas! / We Like Apples!

    Fall Fun means Apple Fun! 
   We started off the school year with an apple tasting every morning during circle time, in the bigger primary classroom. Throughout the past few weeks, the kids have tasted a multitude of different apples, including my new personal favorite: Pink Pearl Apple!
   In Spanish class, we learned all about Manzanas!
    I couldn't stop seeing this cute Apple Craft from Kinder Craze all over Pinterest and Facebook, so I knew I wanted to get my munchkins to do it as well; so we did it with some Spanish learning mixed in. We learned the three main colors of apples (rojo, amarillo y verde) in Spanish and learned the phrase "Me Gusta", which means "I Like."
   I set out the materials at each of the two tables:
       -Contact Paper
       -Pre-cut Apple Templates in each color (Template available for free at Kinder Craze)
       -Pre-cut Tissue Squares in Red, Yellow and Green
       -Pre-cut Leaves
       -Brown Squares (for cutting a stem)
  (I am not a huge fan of pattern art, but since my Spanish class time is usually an hour, time was an issue. And anyhow, the main purpose of the project was not the art, but rather learning the Spanish Phrase that accompanied the art project.)
The munchkins chose their favorite apple and practiced saying, 
"Me gusta la manzana (their color choice.)"
    When they were all done filling in their apple template, I placed another sheet of contact paper on top and cut each one out and attached their Spanish sentence. Some were able to write the color word on their own, and I wrote the sentence for those who were not able to do so.
    They really came out beautiful and all the windows in our whole school house are decorated with these lovely Stained Glass Apples!
   As I have been gathering some bilingual materials that are appropriate and useful for the children that I am teaching, I have come across a couple of good resources, from Open Wide the World and Nicole & Eliceo.
This awesome Parts of An Apple (in both English and Spanish) came from an awesome 
Apples Pack by Nicole & Eliceo.
In addition to the daily whole group activities, I also switched out a few things on my 
work shelves to suit our study of Apples.
Apple Count & Cover:
(created by me and available for FREE here)
Pattern Block Apple Trees:
Shape Tracing:
(from Open Wide the World's Apple Packet)
So, lots of learning on apples has been happening! 
And now I think the kiddos are ready to move on to something else!

No comments:

Post a Comment